Verdesian Life Sciences conducted a sustainability study with 70 retail staff and agronomists in Iowa and Nebraska. When asked what phrases they associated with sustainable agriculture, the group responded as follows:
- 86% environmental preservation
- 70% preserving agricultural ecosystems
- 73% evolving best practices
- 66% maintaining profitability
- 63% precision and efficiency
When asked about farmer-customer adoption of sustainable practices, the survey group said that on average, 68% of their farmer-customers would consider themselves practicing sustainable agriculture. But they estimated on average that 10% fewer of those farmers were actually practicing sustainability by the retailers’ standards.