Stress Test Farm Financials

The past few years have been tough on farmers. Although nobody has a magic eight ball, there’s one way farmers can have a good idea of what could happen in the future: stress testing.

Similar to the tests cardiologists perform if they suspect a patient has a heart problem, stress testing your financials puts some real numbers behind what-if scenarios, veteran banker Ashley Arrington says.

“A lot of farmers have suffered losses, and some have had to make tough decisions,” says Arrington, CEO of Agri Authority, a consulting firm. “Stress testing gives them the parameters for that situation. If
they need to make those potentially tough decisions, they’ll know what their boundaries are.”

Value Proposition. Stress testing can be an important tool in evaluating how to deal with lower prices, higher costs or changes in loan terms, says Michael Langemeier, ag economist at Purdue University’s Center for Commercial Agriculture.

“Lenders want to have an idea how long an operation’s borrowing base margin can sustain a given negative cash flow,” adds Arthur Moessner, vice president of agribusiness for Farm Credit Services of America. “In other words, at what point does the operation run out of its capacity to borrow?”

To stress test revenue, Arrington suggests analyzing income. She tells the story of a producer in Ohio who had 10 straight years of great yields and revenue. Then, for two straight years, weather events created serious problems that drained her working capital. The producer and Arrington needed to know what would happen if the operation suffered another year of unfavorable weather. “We hope it doesn’t happen,” she says. “We’re going to say our prayers and cross our fingers. But we need to know.”

Plan Ahead. Farmers should stress test their financials yearly, says Vince Bailey of Farm Credit Mid-America.

“You need to have a plan,” Bailey says. “Hope is not a plan.”

It’s a good idea to do this type of analysis in December, around the same time farmers prepare for income taxes. “One of the common issues we see is that 100% of your earnings will go on your balance sheet, but not all of your costs will go on your tax return,” he says.

Also assess equity position. Take your financial statements and your most recent balance sheet, and adjust the land value down 20% or 30% until you find the pinch point. “How much can you stand before you’re really going to have a breakdown?” Arrington asks.

Comments

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
Submitted by Daphne Floyd on Tue, 01/02/2018 - 10:10

Firm In Securing Loan
{Lendingcrowdfinance@yahoo.com}

Hello everyone I am Daphne Floyd from Savanna Georgia .I was in debt to pay my rent and my two kids have been sent from school due to my low income and was threatened that my kids would be taken to the foster care so I had no choice than to seek loan from banks but was not offered I was in confusion,on leaving the bank so frustrated a lady that works in the bank came to me telling me about a company she secured a loan from but I angrily left her due to my uncertainty with loan lender.I had thought of it that night and had no other option than to give it a try so I went to know more from the banker Janet.So she told of Lending Crowd finance loan company how they assisted her in purchasing a car and the loan was at an interest rate of 2% and how they have helped with both Secured and Unsecured loan.I was scared but I got in touch with them,did as asked of me and without any delay I received my loan of $300,000 within 48hrs and was able to put things right in my life.If you truly need a genuine loan lender please do make contact via email to them at
Lendingcrowdfinance@yahoo.com OR Call/text +1(214)997-8547

Submitted by Michelle Huxford on Wed, 01/03/2018 - 09:25

ALL THANKS TO UPSTART LOAN AM NOW FINANCIALLY STABLE . upstartloan@yahoo.com
I am Michelle Huxford from Casper, Wyoming. I was in a very chronic financial issue and terminal health situation some few weeks back. After all my search for assistance from friends and neighbors proved abortive, I feel there was no one who truly cares. I became so emaciated due to lack of good food and my 2 kids age 5 and 8 were not also good looking due to lack of proper care as a result of finance. One faithful morning I saw an old time friend of my late husband and I told him all I have been going through and he said the only way he could help was to direct me to a good loan agency that also helped him, He explained to me on how he was financially down and how he got boosted by this loan agency UPSTART LOAN INC ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) who gave him loan at an affordable rate. He further assured me that they were the only legit loan firm he found in the quest of seeking for loan after been scammed by various fake loan lenders online. He gave me their email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call (574) 301-1639, That was how i applied and was also granted a loan and my life changed for the good. CONTACT THE ONLY GENUINE LENDERS( UPSTART LOAN INC) VIA email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or call +1 (574) 301-1639 to resolve your financial mess.

Submitted by charlie bean on Sat, 01/06/2018 - 05:31

I`m Charlie Bean and I live in Toronto Canada. I needed a loan to buy a house and I searched for a mortgage loan from all banks and I was denied and I loss hope of having my own house until I came across a post just as you reading my post now. I saw a post about a Financial Service Company who gives loan at 2% interest so I applied in STEAKLEY FINANCIAL SERVICES using their email steakleyfinancialservices@yahoo.com. And my loan was granted it was like a dream but was true and now am a owner of a house in Toronto and am paying the mortgage loan with no stress and I also requested if I can be granted a business loan and I was also granted. Now am living a happy life, I will advice you if you have an financial problems and you need money to settle it so you can pay with no stress just contact Steakley Financial Service at their email Steakleyfinancialservices@yahoo.com or number +1(512) 714-8010.

Submitted by Michelle Huxford on Mon, 01/08/2018 - 03:32

ALL THANKS TO UPSTART LOAN AM NOW FINANCIALLY STABLE . upstartloan@yahoo.com
I am Michelle Huxford from Casper, Wyoming. I was in a very chronic financial issue and terminal health situation some few weeks back. After all my search for assistance from friends and neighbors proved abortive, I feel there was no one who truly cares. I became so emaciated due to lack of good food and my 2 kids age 5 and 8 were not also good looking due to lack of proper care as a result of finance. One faithful morning I saw an old time friend of my late husband and I told him all I have been going through and he said the only way he could help was to direct me to a good loan agency that also helped him, He explained to me on how he was financially down and how he got boosted by this loan agency UPSTART LOAN INC ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) who grant him 245,000 USD loan at an affordable rate. He further assured me that they were the only legit loan firm he found in the quest of seeking for loan after been scammed by various fake loan lenders online. He gave me their email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call (574) 301-1639, That was how i applied and was also granted a loan and my life changed for the good. CONTACT THE ONLY GENUINE LENDERS( UPSTART LOAN INC) VIA email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or call +1 (574) 301-1639 to resolve your financial mess.

Submitted by Michelle Huxford on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 12:08

ALL THANKS TO UPSTART LOAN AM NOW FINANCIALLY STABLE . upstartloan@yahoo.com

Submitted by Mrs.Carol Anderson on Fri, 02/02/2018 - 01:34

Attention! Attention!! Attention!!!,

What is your situation? *Need 100% financing *Can't verify income *Can't verify employment *Recently self employed *Bankruptcy Collections *Credit issues *Accumulated Bills Settlement * Personal Investment Project or Company Investment Projects e.t.c. Apply for a quick and convenient loan to pay off bills and debts, start a new business or refinance your projects and expand your business in this year 2018 at the cheapest interest rate of %. For more details email
us today via email:(bdsfn.com@gmail.com)

Email : bdsfn.com@gmail.com
Emaill: anatiliatextileltd@gmail.com
Best Regards.
Mrs.Carol Anderson

Attention! Attention!! Attention!!!,

us today via email:(bdsfn.com@gmail.com)

Email : bdsfn.com@gmail.com
Emaill: anatiliatextileltd@gmail.com
Best Regards.
Mrs.Carol Anderson

Submitted by Angelita Taylor on Fri, 02/09/2018 - 22:46

God i thank you for sending this reliable loan lender to me this year 2018 to change my business and life financially. Its a good year for me already and not as worst as 2016 and 2017 that the two loan lenders i came across were scammers and liars.

First I want to start with thanksgiving to God who made it possible for me to know Dr Derek Barlow the CEO of Barlow loans worldwide. After been scammed severally by two fake online loan lenders. Me coming across a loan firm as this really open doors for my business and financial need that has been broken for 2 years now. Dr Derek is a God sent to the world when it comes to help and granting loans to all around the continent and not just me alone. Oh no wonder serious and reliable business men and women and all around the world is talking positively about you sir and your reliable work. Again am happy that my past experience in the hands of those fraudsters that scammed me out of my hard earned money twice online did not make me give up and turn your offer to help me down when you were willing to help. Hey people i have gotten myself my dream loan to establish my own company and be financially stable as all this was done by Barlow loans. After going through tears in the hands of those online fraudsters, I knew i still have hopes of meeting a real and straight forward loan lender someday which really came to pass on the 11th of this month. Barlow loans worldwide made me to really confirm the part of the holy bible that says out of twelve there must really be a Judah. Kudos to the board of directors of Barlow loans that really granted me my dream loan of $155000 CAD. Hey people on earth, I dont really know who i am trying to help with this post that need loan not to contact the wrong loan firm or person, But what i know is that i have contributed my own part to your financial success by coming openly online to tell everyone on earth that if you need a loan, Kindly be of good to yourself to contact only Barlow loans worldwide as they grant loans to anybody no matter your tribe, religion, color and culture. Praise God that Barlow loans could help me financially with there reliable loan lending services. The board of directors of Barlow loans, i dont really know how to say thank you as i felt this my post will be one of what i can use to tell you thank you and also direct those that need loan to contact you and not to disturb you to avoid them contacting the wrong and fake loan lenders just the way i did before i came in contact with you sir. Reach out to them on there company email address which is /// derekbarlowloans@yahoo.com . Mind you that is to contact him for loan that there are procedures that has to be taken to get your loan and if you dont meet with them there is no how you can be granted a loan at Barlow loans worldwide as they are know for reliability.