The keys to building a great team
4. Money and Benefits: Money and benefits are important, but workers today also want fast-paced, energetic, interesting work and to feel that their efforts matter! If you’re slow, use your down time wisely for training, working on the facility or marketing. It’s interesting: if the work place is slow, the workers and boss work slower! If we have more time, we take more time. Unfortunately, when you’re slow, gossip goes up and morale goes down. Be clear about duties during “downtimes.” There should never be a reason to stand around and gossip.
- Ask for honest feedback from your current employees to help you identify the roles new staff members should fill. Consider asking the following questions:
- If this were your company, what would you do to increase our productivity and decrease our overhead?
- What skills, ability, or training can I give you to better enable you to do your job?
- If this were your business, what kind of person (skills and strengths) do you think we might hire that would help us grow the business?
- If you could improve one thing about the communication within our team, what would it be?
- What do I do, or what does your supervisor do, that wastes your time or the time of the customer?
- What do you like the best about your job?
- What do you like the least about your job?
Hiring well is one of the most difficult jobs of a leader and hiring decisions have a huge impact on employee morale, performance and the overall work environment. Identifying and understanding the needs of your employees will help you build a productive and motivated team.
Rhonda Savage, Ph.D., is an internationally acclaimed speaker and CEO for a well-known practice management and consulting business. She is a noted motivational speaker on leadership, women's issues and communication. Rhonda is also co-author of “Bushido Business: The Fine Art of the Modern Professional” with Tom Hopkins, Brian Tracy & Stephen M. R. Covey. For more information, visit http://www.MilesGlobal.netor e-mail Rhonda@MilesandAssociates.net.
- Commentary: Blame anti-GMO groups for deaths
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- What does “sustainable” food and agriculture really mean?
- Ohio bill to require certification to apply fertilizer
- Carbon-dioxide hurts nitrogen assimilation by plants
- DuPont calls on Congress to preserve RFS