Not all team members are equal
Recruit convert communicators as pack members. Who do you know who was formerly against your cause?
Building a pack with a few converts can also increase your team’s influence IQ. Convert communicators are individuals who previously were averse to your position but are now on your team. Here’s why they are persuasive.
Converts are those who were on the “other side;” they agreed with the view of those you are now trying to persuade, and now see things your way. They provide jet fuel to your team because they can provide insight into the persuasive messages that converted them.
They also are persuasive. They are seen by the people you want to influence as similar to themselves, which we know is a powerful persuasion source as opposed to a message coming directly from you, the opponent. Your influence prospect may be thinking, ‘This was someone who used to agree with me.’ So, the very presence of the convert communicator brings along a possibility of a change in attitude. Your prospect may think, ‘That person did it, why can’t I?’
Convert communicators are among the many reasons for the life-transforming power of groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. As perfect examples of “converts,” former alcoholics yield considerable influence because they’ve converted from one lifestyle and ideology to a totally opposite set of beliefs.
Make sure your converts have freely made the decision to convert. Converting to save their skin isn’t convincing.
Converts are especially beneficial to your cause when they willingly made the decision to convert. Just like a salesperson who doesn’t believe in their product isn’t as convincing as someone who uses the product and loves it, your converts are more credible when their decision to convert is made absent of outside pressure.
Fair or unfair, not all team members are created equal. When you thoughtfully recruit the right team members, you’ll increase your influence success.
Amy Showalter is the author of “The Underdog Edge: How Ordinary People Change the Minds of the Powerful...and Live to Tell About It.” For more information, visit http://www.showaltergroup.com/ or http://www.underdogedge.com/ or call (513) 762-7668 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Precision Planting launches multi-hybrid planting system
- TIA Farm Tire Service training class offered
- Coolest fall temperatures to remain focused in Central U.S.
- Most ag markets held up surprisingly well Tuesday
- Livestock futures outperformed the crop markets Tuesday morning
- Iowa cover crops: Expected Hessian fly free dates
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease