Multicultural communication tips for today’s world
Even when faced with deadlines, financial constraints, a burdensome workload and all sorts of workplace disagreements, it is important to keep a personal touch in your interactions. In multicultural communication, this point is again a matter of simple awareness. For example, if you know that people of certain nationalities are family-oriented, it takes very little time to ask someone about their kids. The other person then sees you as nicer and more human, building trust between you. Anything you can do to show an interest in your colleagues’ lives outside of work will build camaraderie among you and make your organization that much more effective, and enjoyable.
In conclusion, attaining comfort and fluidity in multicultural communication is surprisingly easy. Practicing these five items will make your work life more enjoyable, and you will avoid coming across as a cultural rube. Remember that perfection is not required, nor expected—it’s making the effort that counts.
Tomás Garza is a conflict resolution and personal development expert with more than 12 years of experience helping people erase pain and turmoil from their lives. Garza has served on the faculty of Portland State University and is a former president of the Oregon Mediation Association. In 2013 he founded The Garza Initiative to further help people move beyond their unhelpful patterns of behavior and connect to their deepest selves and purpose. For more information, visit www.garzainitiative.com, e-mail Tomás at email@example.com, or call at 541-230-4477.
- UAV maker PrecisionHawk receives $10 million in financing
- Tool helps track insects blowing in the wind
- FAO calls for “paradigm shift” toward sustainable agriculture
- Newly revised “Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide” released
- Weed seed present at harvest offers weed control opportunity
- Corn harvest pace picks up, but…
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto