Knocking on doors persistently pays off
Whether you are a business person trying to get more sales, a manager trying to find the right hire, an IT employee trying to write new software, or just the average Joe trying to get the most out of existence; your life will be a lot easier if you understand some basic, yet often disregarded principles in the art of persistence, determination and influence.
Keep in mind that whether you are a salesperson or not, you are always knocking on some kind physical or mental door and your level of success and happiness will depend on how good you are at getting through those doors. So, as you go on knocking at the doorsteps of bigger and better things, keep these five ideas in mind:
1. Be Patient. No door was ever built with the purpose of being closed for eternity; for a wall would have been erected on its place. If you have been knocking on a door for quite a while and nobody has answered... be patient. However, do not confuse patience with laziness. Laziness is doing nothing. Patience, on the other hand, is actively waiting; it’s suppressing negative emotions like complaints, restlessness, or annoyance while confronted with the universe’s timing.
You must understand that the world doesn’t revolve around your timing; you revolve around it. And just like a farmer understands the timing of a seed and will not expect it to sprout any sooner; you should understand that some doors will open at their own time and not any sooner. The universe will reward you handsomely once you learn to be patient and respect the fact that some things just take a little longer to materialize.
2. Reasons make more sense on paper. From time to time, you might grow weary. If this happens, it’s because you are getting too caught up on the mere routine of knocking on doors. It is easy to get discouraged and lose hope when you lose sight of what initiated your quest. It helps to have a list of at least ten reasons why you must get through this particular door. Keep this list in a place you see frequently like on a refrigerator door, bathroom mirror or even in your wallet. This will fuel your daily knocking with purpose.
3. Knock with Confidence. Just like you would probably regard a couple of soft knocks in the middle of the night as someone knocking on the wrong door and ignore them; your knocks, if done reluctantly and infrequently, will also be ignored. Your frequency and loudness will broadcast a message about whether or not you believe you are knocking on the wrong door. Conviction is contagious. Increase the frequency and loudness of your knocks and this will convey conviction, which will open more doors than you can ever manage to go through.
- Woman arrested in seed theft case released on bond
- Mosaic to halt muriate of potash output in New Mexico
- Dow Chemical adds more assets to "for sale" list
- U.S. farmers resort to giant storage bags to avoid cheap sales
- Fafinski Mark & Johnson launches UAS practice group
- Most ag markets are higher, but hog futures are tumbling Thursday