How to find and leverage what’s right in your workplace
The principles of Appreciative Inquiry are based on that the idea that when you build upon your strengths rather than focusing upon your weaknesses, you create empowered solutions that become like a happy virus infecting all those around you. Then suddenly, when people come knocking on your door with a problem, they know to come with some ideas and solutions in hand that can be easily implemented to leverage their own strengths toward greater success.
The key to implementation of appreciate inquiry is through communicating the AI philosophy to all members of the team. Many organizations have what is called an “Appreciative Inquiry Summit” where key stakeholders and leaders of an organization are brought together to dig deep into what’s really right about their organization, and to ask themselves how they might be able to envision that growing larger and being more emphasized.
The old and outdated approach of identifying problems, analyzing causes, possible solutions, and then activating treatments based on those possible solutions is only a three dimensional approach. The Five-D’s: Define, Discover, Dream, Design and Deliver, are five dimensions of managerial problem solving that ensure that leaders are able to transform organizational challenges into amplifications of possibility.
Chris Walling, MBA is a speaker, consultant and former academic medical executive. Chris Walling Consulting is a business and personal consulting firm dedicated to empowering leaders to create innovative, creative solutions to today's complex and chaotic business environment. Having expertise in both biomedical research and healthcare administration, they help clients leverage their innate resources amidst challenging times and uncertainty. For more information, visit http://www.chris-walling.com/.
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- Ohio’s largest Deere dealer to sell precision drone products
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease