Great leadership starts with leading an organization of one
The fifth important discipline that must be an ongoing practice for leaders is disciplining your power, particularly, as it relates to knowing where your source of authority comes from. Are you building your power base from the positional role in the organization or your credibility with the people you lead?
As the industrial revolution comes to a close and we give birth to the “personal age,” it is becoming clear that the authority of a leader rests in the relationships they form with the people they lead. The risk most often encountered when influencing people where there is a personal relationship is not maintaining the authority to exercise your power. One practice that can assist in maintaining your authority is identifying those with whom you need to come out from behind the desk, and those with whom you must stay behind the desk.
- Out from behind the desk: Individuals with the maturity to be clear on your authority
- Stay behind the desk: Individuals that need you to maintain your position of authority
All leadership begins with self-leadership. Practice the disciplines in each of the 5 areas of self-leadership and you will find you possess an uncanny ability to do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done.
Glenn Gutek is a speaker and CEO of Awake Consulting & Coaching, a firm that helps small businesses and organizations improve their leadership and business development through training, development and coaching. He is also the author of “Wide-Awake Leadership,” which teaches leaders how to overcome mediocrity though effective leadership. For more information, visit http://www.awakeconsulting.com/ or contact Glenn at email@example.com or 407-901-4357.
- Granular completes nationwide beta testing; signs first customers
- Concerns grow over damage to EU wheat crop quality
- Davis Equipment is celebrating 50 years in business
- Ag futures ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Pinnacle Agriculture, Tecomate Wildlife form alliance
- Ag markets remained quite mixed at noon Friday