Does your company need an extreme messaging makeover?
5. Tell the Truth
Most marketers have heard the phrase ‘Truth in Advertising’ and there’s even a spoof on YouTube about the lack thereof. The term ‘Spin Doctor’ pretty much covers the perception of Truth in PR. And as far as Sales, nobody likes to be sold, right?
As our parents and kindergarten teachers taught us, telling the truth is the ethical way to go. It is also the practical approach.
Telling the truth is essential to successful Public Relations. Pick your favorite media gaffe that resulted from a public figure being less than truthful. ‘The Media’ will find and report contradictions and the story can potentially reach the masses within minutes online. If you hide behind a ‘no comment’ or offer a less than truthful response, you will be perceived negatively when the reporter eventually does break the story (and someone will).
With regard to Truth in Sales, think about how you feel when a salesperson goes on and on. You probably wish they would shut up and listen to what you are saying so you can tell them what you want. Salespeople need to listen, ask probing questions and match needs based on the strengths of their product or service. Admit weaknesses early because the prospect will usually figure out that your product isn’t perfect. Focus on true strengths and leave the hyperbole to your competitors.
Truth in Advertising does exist and the winning companies adhere to it. Truth in PR must exist or you and your company will lose credibility. Truth in Sales will help you stand out from the competition and ultimately lead to more business for your company.
Your Extreme Messaging Makeover will make a difference for you and your organization. Follow these strategies and make it happen!
David M. Mastovich, MBA is president of MASSolutions, Inc. In his recent book, "Get Where You Want To Go: How to Achieve Personal and Professional Growth Through Marketing, Selling and Story Telling," Mastovich offers strategies to improve sales and generate new customers; management and leadership approaches; and creative marketing, PR and communications ideas. For more information, please visit massolutions.biz.
- Ag markets firmed Tuesday morning
- New soybean webcast addresses fungicide resistance
- Leader, scientists call for cooperation in agro-technology
- Grants available for CASE certification and equipment
- Export customers commit to buy $2.3 billion of U.S. soy
- Second company sues Syngenta over Agrisure Viptera
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- Stoller soybean research produces 214 bushels per acre