Wheat improvement going into overdrive
With advanced genetics available, regional adaptation and end-use quality become the next big hurdles.
“By and large, foreign genetics usually require some level of re-combination with
regionally adapted cultivars before they can succeed and compete in a new environment,” said LCS HRS breeder Dr. Blake Cooper. “However, some of the South American material we’ve been testing was able to hit the ground running the first year we had it in trials in terms of agronomic performance.”
The ability to exploit these relationships directly saves generations in the breeding cycle, and leaves a final question that is asked of all LCS elite variety candidates: “Does it have the quality required to make an end-use product?” The new LCS quality lab is in place to provide a final assessment of the milling and baking properties of these candidates before they are considered for release.
LCS’ first U.S. release to come from this international partnership will be widely available to growers next year and 2013 foundation seed stocks have already been allocated to seed growers and sold by the LCS commercial team.
Dr. Cooper’s first U.S. release to come from this international partnership will be widely available to growers next year, as 2013 foundation seed stocks have been sold out for months. “We’re very excited about the potential of this new variety,” he said. “Technical information will be available on our website soon, http://www.limagraincerealseeds.com/ — so keep watching.
- TekWear partners up on new crop monitoring technologies
- Harvest delays impact crop performance, study shows
- Hogs were the exception to the bullish rule Thursday
- Sugarcane aphids found in North Carolina
- Online registration open for Dec. 15-16 AGMasters conference
- Export data, equity gains boost crop futures Thursday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta