Insecticide now available as 2(ee) recommendation
Valent U.S.A. Corporation announced a 2(ee) recommendation is available for the use of NipsIt Inside Insecticide as a seed protectant to suppress grasshoppers in early-planted cereal grains.
The 2(ee) recommendation allows growers to treat wheat, millet, buckwheat, oats, rye, teosinte and triticale seeds with NipsIt Inside (EPA Reg. No. 59639-151) against grasshoppers in the following states: Ark., Colo., Idaho, Kan., Mo., Mont., Neb., N.D., Okla., Ore., S.D., Wash. and Wyo.
Karen Arthur, seed protection product development manager, said this 2(ee) recommendation comes at a critical time as growers will soon begin planting their fall wheat crops and the “fresh green growth that comes up in the fields poses a prime feeding ground for seedling-damaging grasshoppers.” She added that fall-planted cereal crops are particularly susceptible to grasshopper damage because the plants emerge as the already-adult grasshoppers are feeding.
“Because of the drought across much of the central United States, we’ve seen a significant increase in grasshopper populations in key cereal grain-growing states. Growers are bracing for this adult grasshopper pressure heading into the fall and need effective tools to keep them from affecting the plant stand,” Arthur said. “NipsIt Inside brings an entirely new and powerful insecticide to more effectively slow the damage by the grasshoppers and help prevent injury to these young crops. Additionally, only NipsIt InsideE offers growers Lock Tight Technology—meaning improved stickability of the active ingredient on the seed to ensure unmatched protection. The NipsIt InsideE rate addition for grasshopper protection combined with the NipsIt Suite Cereals offer gives the grower disease and insect protection.”
Arthur said growers should plant the NipsIt Inside-treated seed as a 50- to 60-foot border around the edges of the crop field, in essence, creating a barrier to keep grasshoppers from advancing into the interior of the field.
In addition to NipsIt Inside, Valent has a growing seed protection portfolio, including Inovate Seed Protectant for soybeans and the NipsIt Suite line across cereals and sugar beets.
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?