Volunteer wheat control must be done to protect wheat crop
If glyphosate is used too close to planting time, volunteer may stay green long enough to transmit diseases and insects to the new crop. It may take as long as one week following glyphosate application before the wheat will die, so that needs to be considered when timing the application to break the bridge for insects and diseases. The optimum time to treat with glyphosate is when most of the volunteer has emerged and is healthy and actively growing. Glyphosate can effectively control volunteer wheat that has tillered.
Atrazine is a relatively inexpensive treatment for volunteer wheat control that can be applied anytime in the summer or fall, if rotating to sorghum or corn. In the September to October time period, using atrazine plus crop oil alone can often control small volunteer wheat that has not yet tillered, as well as later-emerging volunteer wheat and other weeds.
If the volunteer has tillered, most of the roots will have grown deep enough to be out of the reach of atrazine. This is when it helps to add glyphosate to the atrazine plus crop oil. Glyphosate is translocated from the leaf tissue throughout the plant. The combination of glyphosate and atrazine will provide a good combination of burndown and residual control on both volunteer that has tillered and later-emerging volunteer. Atrazine rates need to be adjusted to soil type and pH, and may not be appropriate for all areas.
In summary, the most important reasons to control volunteer wheat are:
- Wheat curl mite/wheat streak mosaic virus
- Hessian fly
- Russian wheat aphid
- Bird cherry oat aphid/greenbug/barley yellow dwarf virus
- Banks grass mite
- Chinch bug
- Reduces moisture loss
- Plant health improvement agents help growers do more with less
- Ag markets suffered a general divergence Wednesday
- Scientists throw light on the mechanism of plants’ ticking clock
- Stress-tolerant tomato relative sequenced
- Ag markets diverged Wednesday morning
- Farmer community forum focused on farmer data