Barley yellow dwarf infections in wheat
We screen varieties for their reaction to barley yellow dwarf infection based on the visual symptoms. We also have a test nearby with a smaller number of varieties in which we take yield data. In our tests, the level of visual symptoms corresponds closely to the level of yield reduction. The varieties with the best visual ratings against barley yellow dwarf are: 2137, 2174, Coker 9663, Duster, Endurance, Everest, Overland, Overley, Pioneer 25R47, Roane, Sturdy 2K, Truman, and Winterhawk. Some of those are soft red winter wheat varieties.
Other than variety selection, there are a couple other good, effective means of managing this disease. Producers could use seed-treatment insecticides, but these treatments are expensive and usually only give about 50 percent control. Planting after the Hessian fly-free date is another management strategy.
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta
- Berman: Camouflaged activists threaten agriculture