Barley yellow dwarf infections in wheat
We screen varieties for their reaction to barley yellow dwarf infection based on the visual symptoms. We also have a test nearby with a smaller number of varieties in which we take yield data. In our tests, the level of visual symptoms corresponds closely to the level of yield reduction. The varieties with the best visual ratings against barley yellow dwarf are: 2137, 2174, Coker 9663, Duster, Endurance, Everest, Overland, Overley, Pioneer 25R47, Roane, Sturdy 2K, Truman, and Winterhawk. Some of those are soft red winter wheat varieties.
Other than variety selection, there are a couple other good, effective means of managing this disease. Producers could use seed-treatment insecticides, but these treatments are expensive and usually only give about 50 percent control. Planting after the Hessian fly-free date is another management strategy.
- IRRI and partners hold training on modern rice seed production
- Ag markets moved mostly higher Tuesday morning
- Certain ecosystems prove resistant to climate change
- One oft forgotten important fall chore: Sampling for SCN
- Timing of cheatgrass herbicides on wheat
- Cellerate receives EPA certification for cellulosic biofuels RINs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals