Strip-tilled silage corn yields more than no-till, zone-till
Corn silage quality was not affected by tillage method in this trial. Trial averages were comparable to corn grown using conventional tillage practices.
The harvest population was very low — 25,500 plants per acre — compared to the initial seeding rate of 34,000 plants per acre. Reduced plant populations may have been a result of poor germination. Reduced tillage fields have been noted to be colder and wetter as compared to conventional tillage. These environmental variables could easily cause reduced populations.
The average yield was 14.9 tons per acre, which is low compared to yields of corn with similar relative maturity planted conventional tillage. This indicates that corn yields may be reduced in first years of transition to reduced tillage practices.
Although not significant, it does appear that strip-till systems may help alleviate some yield drag often seen when transitioning to reduced tillage. Additional years of reduced tillage trials in this area will help determine if yield drag will be reduced as soil health improves as a result of this practice.
- What to do now in regards to the 2014 Farm Bill
- Mistakes that hurt a farm's credit
- Mycogen Seeds introduces four new sunflower hybrids for 2015
- China cuts cotton import quotas to boost demand for its own fiber
- Hog futures the exception to bearish ag market rule Monday AM
- Gangster herbicide program update
- Despite USDA approval, Enlist trait faces hurdles
- Activist investor Peltz pushes DuPont to split itself
- USDA approves Dow’s Enlist corn, soybean traits
- Mapping technology help farmers understand soil
- Improve nutrient balance to boost corn yields
- Study shows differences in understanding sustainable agriculture
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report