Strip-tillage in California’s Central Valley
California Strip-Tillage: Current Status
The California Conservation Tillage Workgroup, a diverse group of more than 1,500 researchers, Extension educators, conservationists, farmers, and private sector partners has tracked an increase in the use of strip-tillage at the commercial scale in 2007 (Mitchell et al. 2007). More than 20 farm field demonstration evaluations of strip-tillage at San Joaquin Valley dairies were underway in 2007 by workgroup affiliates. Updates and additional information on these evaluations are available at the workgroup’s Web site, http://groups.ucanr.org/ucct/.
CVRWQCB (Central Valley Region Water Quality Control Board). 2007. Order No. R5-2007-0036: Waste discharge requirements general order for existing milk cow dairies. CVRWQCB Board Decisions Web site, http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centralvalley/board_decisions/adopted_orders/general_orders/r5-2007-0035.pdf.
Luna, J., and M. Staben. 2003. Using strip tillage in vegetable production systems in western Oregon. Oregon State University Extension Publication EM 8824. OSU Extension Service Web site, http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centralvalley/board_decisions/adopted_orders/general_orders/r5-2007-0035.pdf.
Madden, N. M., J. P. Mitchell, W. T. Lanini, M. D. Cahn, E. V. Herrero, S. Park, S. R. Temple, and M. Van Horn. 2004. Evaluation of conservation tillage and cover crop systems for organic processing tomato production. HortTechnology 14(2): 243–250.
Madden, N. M., R. J. Southard, and J. P. Mitchell. 2008. Conservation tillage reduced PM10 emissions in forage rotations Atmospheric Environment 42:3795–3808.
Mitchell, J. P., L. E. Jackson, and E. M. Miyao. 2004. Minimum tillage vegetable corp production in California. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 8132. ANR CS Web site, http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/VegetableCropProductioninCalifornia/8132.aspx.
Mitchell, J. P., K. Klonsky, A. Shrestha, R. Fry, A. DuSault, J. Beyer, and R. Harben. 2007. Adoption of conservation tillage in California: Current status and future perspectives. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 47(12): 1383–1388.
Reichenberger, L. 2007. Planting on the strip: Precise row placement boosts root growth in strip-tillage. The Furrow (January): 7–8.
Smith, J. A., and C. H. Pearson. 2004. Tillage practices. In H. F. Schwartz, M. A. Brick, R. M. Harveson, and G. D. Franc, eds., Dry bean production and integrated pest management. 2nd ed. Fort Collins: Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Regional Bulletin 562A.
- Ag markets posted a mixed showing before the long weekend
- Central American farmers generate energy from coffee wastewater
- Big potential in China for U.S. corn, livestock exports
- Outback Guidance introduces next generation auto steer systems
- Ag markets proved quite mixed again Friday morning
- Court ruling in Hawaii finds that crop protection is state law
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Pinnacle Agriculture, Tecomate Wildlife form alliance