Five reasons why strip-till works
4. Relieve soil compaction.
If there is a root restricting layer because of years of tillage, a strip-till implement can cut through this layer and the new crop planted above the slot cut through the tillage pan. This requires more horsepower as the tillage pan is denser or deeper, typically 40 to 50 hp per row and sometime as high as 90 hp for deeper depths. However, once the pan is opened up, there is little reason to do it again (rent the machine since it may only be needed once). If upon digging, roots are found several feet into the soil and there isn't a root restricting layer, this ripping operation isn't needed. Tillage formed the soil compaction by destroying the soil structure. Strip-tilling destroys the soil structure as well and will eventually reform the compaction layer below the depth of the strip tillage operation.
5. Some people sleep better at night because they strip-till.
Seriously. Some people are "afraid" of the residue in no-till and the fact that they spent some time in the tractor seat, burned some high priced fuel, and blackened some soil, they'll sleep better. Also, the crop comes up a little quicker when planted into the blackened strip, allowing them to see it sooner. Whether or not it yields more, they'll sleep better. However, producers don't get paid for how the crop looks in late May, but when the combine runs at harvest.
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- Ohio’s largest Deere dealer to sell precision drone products
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease