Game changer: Palmer amaranth vs. Cornbelt farmers
Iowa State University weed specialists Bob Hartzler and Mike Owen say Palmer amaranth is just moving into Iowa, but has been confirmed in a number of counties. They stress that you need to properly identify Palmer amaranth from other varieties of amaranth. “Knowing how to differentiate the pigweeds is the key to reducing the likelihood of Palmer amaranth becoming established and spreading throughout Iowa. The easiest way to tell smooth and redroot pigweed from Palmer amaranth and waterhemp is that smooth and redroot pigweeds have hairy stems, whereas both Palmer amaranth and waterhemp have hairless stems.”
While that system may seem simple, it is not always simple. Hartzler and Meaghan Bryan offer a guide to help identify Palmer from other varieties of amaranth.
Palmer amaranth can devastate corn and soybean yields if the weed is competing with row crops. Producing hundreds of thousands of seeds per plant, and resistant to multiple herbicide modes of action, Palmer amaranth requires a strategic approach to control. That includes the way fields are cultivated, scouted, and harvested, in addition to a prescribed treatment with residual herbicides along with a post emerge application.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.