Weed Identification Guide available electronically
The popular Weed Identification Field Guide is now available electronically as an e-book and, for the first time, downloadable on iPad. The publication is distributed by the Iowa Soybean Association (ISA) and Iowa State University (ISU) Extension and Outreach. Pioneer Hi-Bred, a DuPont business, has sponsored the capability for users to download the electronic versions for no charge.
The Weed Identification Field Guide, CSI 0003, authored in 2010 by Iowa State University Extension specialists, includes images and descriptions of 56 broadleaf weeds and 19 grass and grass-like weeds. The electronic publications, like the print version, include tools to aid in accurate weed identification, as well as weed lifecycle and herbicide management and stewardship information. They also include detailed diagrams, including 24 illustrations, and more than 250 zoomable, high-resolution photographs of weeds common to Iowa.
According to David Wright, ISA director of contract research and strategic initiatives, ISA and ISU Extension and Outreach are dedicated to providing farmers and crop specialists the right tools to increase soybean yield in high management production systems.
"The industry has rapidly adopted electronic technology for use in the field," Wright says. "With this field guide available in print, as an e-book and for the iPad, it gives farmers more options to access information. Plus, the ability to zoom in on high resolution photos will make identifying weeds, the soybean's biggest competitor, that much easier."
This is the second collaborative ISA/ISU Extension field guide to go electronic, with the first being Soybean Diseases. "By working with Iowa Soybean Association to provide electronic versions of the field guides, extension is placing Iowa State research and valuable information in the hands of even more people - and in a way that is convenient for them to access," said Daren Mueller, one of the guide authors. "By immediately identifying weeds, an effective management plan that is vital to maximizing crop production can be determined more accurately."
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
R&R Minuteman Blend System
R&R Manufacturing Inc.