Watch for charcoal rot in dry areas
A soybean field with plants affected by charcoal rot. Symptoms of charcoal rot, caused by the soilborne fungus Macrophomina phaseolina, are apparent in soybean fields located in areas of the state that have been hot and dry. Symptoms in affected fields appear as individual plants or patches of wilted and dead plants. Gray to black "specks" will be apparent on the lower stems of affected plants when the epidermis is shaved off with a knife. These specks, known as microsclerotia, are the survival structures of M. phaseolina.
Management of charcoal rot requires an integrated approach. Although no soybean varieties have complete resistance, varieties can differ in their levels of susceptibility to the disease. Macrophomina has a wide host range, which includes corn, sorghum, and sunflower, so crop rotation alone may not provide complete management. Practices that reduce drought stress may help, such as avoiding high seeding rates and using conservation tillage practices that conserve soil moisture. Foliar and seed treatment fungicides do not provide protection against charcoal rot.
Dark specks (microsclerotia) can be observed inside the lower stems of soybean plants affected by charcoal rot.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- USDA’s budget proposal: How will you be impacted?
- UN: China, US climate cooperation raises hopes for global deal
- Crop marekts set back from early-Friday highs
- Even as Japan balks at trade concessions, farmers move on
- Crop pests ‘vastly underestimated’ warns study
- Evogene enhances predictive gene stacking capabilities
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Look at how the rice scheme made Thailand unstable
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
Fertilizer Conveying Systems
Waconia Manufacturing Inc.