Soybean seed inoculation for most per acre return
Michigan State University Extension educators in Michigan’s greater Thumb area had the opportunity to plant soybeans on ground that had never been planted to soybeans before. The educators took this chance to establish a trial measuring the effects of inoculant and nitrogen treatments on soybeans planted to “virgin” ground.
click image to zoom Pioneer 92Y51 soybeans were planted in 30-inch rows on an Avoca Loamy Sand. The plot was located in Huron County’s Meade Township, near Filion, Mich. Treatments included sidedressed nitrogen as 28 percent UAN at 80 pounds per acre; HiStick inoculant, a combination of sidedressed 28 percent UAN at 80 pounds plus the inoculant; and an untreated check (UTC). The inoculant was applied at planting and the sidedressed nitrogen was applied three weeks later. See Table 1 for study results.
The site received very little rain throughout the growing season on a drought-prone soil. Yields reflect the lack of rain. All three nitrogen and inoculant treatment yields were significantly higher than the UTC. The most cost effective treatment was HiStick inoculant alone.
The educators would like to thank plot cooperator Shupe Dairy Inc. and the Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee for providing funding toward this study.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Layco Declining Weight Blend System