Soybean rust discovered in Arkansas
Soybean rust was found Aug. 7 for the first time in Arkansas this year. University of Arkansas Program Technician Amanda Greer made the discovery in a commercial soybean field at growth stage R5 near Halley in Desha Co in Southeast Arkansas. This is the same county in which SBR was first detected in 2012. Pustules were sporulating on 34 out of 35 leaflets collected with 3 to 22 pustules per leaflet. Weather conditions are favorable for disease development, thus it is likely it will be found in other counties.
Agents in the Southeast corner of the state should collect samples from the lower canopy from late maturing beans and sending them to the Plant Health Clinic in Fayetteville. Refrain from sending samples on Friday because they will degrade in hot post offices. Also, stack leaflets rather than cram into the plastic bag with moist paper towel when shipping.
Aerial blight is also showing up on beans. Clay and Lawrence Co. have reported finding the disease. Aerial blight warrants attention so agents, consultants and producers should look in fields with a history of aerial blight or sheath blight. The most noticeable symptom is the presence of hyphae (white web-like material) at base of plants or on leaves when beans cover the middles. Fungicide application may be considered. See MP 154 for fungicides, but azoxystrobin has been a good fungicide on aerial blight.
- International Year of Soils set for 2015
- Extra care needed for wintertime fuel handling
- CLA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid report
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday
- Valent launches new low VOC plant growth regulator
- Thursday's export data had mixed crop market implications
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement