Soybean cyst nematode reproduction high in 2012
The effects of increased SCN reproduction in 2012 will not become immediately apparent because fields cropped to soybeans in 2012 will not likely be cropped to soybeans again next year. But similar extreme increases in SCN reproduction may occur in 2013 because dry conditions are likely next year (see ICM News article here).
Farmers should continue to be vigilant about SCN. It would not be wise to grow an SCN-susceptible soybean variety in a field infested with the nematode in 2013. Also, considering the high SCN reproduction that occurred on resistant soybean varieties in 2012, farmers are advised to look for resistant varieties that control nematodes well, which includes some varieties with PI 88788 SCN resistant and most all of the varieties with Peking SCN resistance. There are more than 750 SCN-resistant soybean varieties from which Iowa soybean farmers can choose for 2013 (see earlier ICM News article here), and the results of the ISU SCN-resistant Soybean Variety Trial Program experiments reveal how well the varieties control SCN reproduction.
More information about the biology and management of SCN is available online at www.soybeancyst.info.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Conference to address “What’s Next for Farmland Values”
A.J. Sackett Blend Towers
A.J. Sackett Sons & Company