Findings about manganese in soybean production
Manganese can do soybeans a lot of good in many situations, according to field projects and trials by DuPont Pioneer agronomists. Keith Diedrick, area agronomist, provided a lengthy write-up of findings and recommendations. A short summary of what he wrote is included here.
- Soybeans are more often deficient in manganese than in other micronutrients, and respond well to manganese fertilizers when deficient.
- Manganese is more likely to be deficient in sandy soils, dry soils, high organic matter soils, and soils with high pH levels.
- Fields with manganese deficiency are seldom affected uniformly. Manganese deficiency symptoms may also vary from field to field, and are strongly tied to soil properties.
- Plant tissue analysis is the best tool for confirming a manganese deficiency. Randomly select a number of plants, picking the youngest fully-opened trifoliate from each.
- To correct manganese deficiencies, a number of manganese sources may be used, with preference to chelated forms of manganese (as opposed to salt forms) supplied by foliar application.
- To avoid weed control efficacy and nutrient absorption issues when tankmixing with glyphosate:
- Use the label-recommended rate of spray-grade ammonium sulfate (usually 8.5 to 17 lb per 100 gallons) in the carrier, and
- Add the products in the correct order: 1) water, 2) AMS, 3) glyphosate, 4) chelated manganese (EDTA preferred).
To read the whole article with explanation of the summary click here to reach the Pioneer website content.
- New calculator can help soybean farmers with seed decisions
- U.S., Brazil close to ending cotton trade rift
- U.S.-Japan trade talks hit new farm exports snag
- Ag markets posted a general comeback Wednesday
- Midwest grain growers ‘Invest an acre to feed the world’
- Ag markets turned mixed around midsession Wednesday
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?