Success in SCN control proven in trials
The annual damage from soybean cyst nematode (SCN) is greater than that of the next three most destructive soybean pests combined. “Its ability to reproduce quickly has made SCN a widespread pest throughout the Midwest,” said Dale Ireland, Ph.D., technical product lead at Syngenta. “Their ability to feed on resistant SCN (soybean) varieties—especially on the widely used PI88788 source of resistance—makes some SCN populations even more difficult to control.”
To tackle the lack of season-long management options for this damaging pest, Syngenta conducted Clariva Complete Beans nematicide/insecticide/fungicide seed treatment trials with SCN-resistant varieties from 2010 to 2013. When used in fields with moderate-to-high SCN pressure, Clariva Complete Beans consistently improved yields by an average of 4.1 percent compared to an insecticide/fungicide check in the same trials.
Furthermore, SCN populations across the Midwest have shown increased reproduction in soybean varieties that contain the PI88788 source of resistance. In fields with these so-called “HG Type 2” SCN populations, Clariva Complete Beans produced an average 4.4 percent yield increase versus an insecticide/fungicide check over the last three years. This underlines the potential for Clariva Complete Beans to offer growers additional effective SCN protection and to help them manage resistance, the company contends.
Syngenta’s message is that planting soybeans treated with Clariva Complete Beans will protect high-value seeds against SCN, early-season insects and diseases. This enables plants to start strong so farmers can grow more soybeans.
Clariva Complete Beans nematicide/insecticide/fungicide, is an on-seed application of separately registered products, building on the insect and disease protection from CruiserMaxx Beans with Vibrance insecticide/fungicide seed treatment by adding a revolutionary nematicide with direct, season-long protection against SCN. For more information about Clariva Complete Beans, visit www.ClarivaCompleteBeans.com.
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals