Winfield Solutions adds to seed portfolio in 2014
Winfield Solutions announced its 2014 Croplan seed lineup, which gives farmers the ability to better-manage corn rootworm (CRW) and limited moisture in corn.
Performance results from WinField’s Answer Plot program are a testament to the yield potential of the latest Croplan seed varieties. In more than 300 comparisons across multiple geographies, new Croplan hybrids delivered an average of nearly 7 bushels per acre more than the competition, and a 4 bushel per acre increase over existing hybrids in the portfolio.
“Year over year, our new Croplan seed offerings raise the bar on yield potential, and this year is no exception,” says K.C. Graner, WinField seed and agronomy advisor. “Our repeated local testing shows us these new varieties are performing in a variety of areas across maturity sets, which gives farmers the framework they need to be successful heading into the upcoming growing season.”
2014 Croplan Seed Corn Variety Highlights
Farmers looking to optimize production in drought areas or those planting dryland corn can now benefit from two new water optimization traits available in Croplan hybrids – Agrisure Artesian (Syngenta) and Genuity DroughtGard (Monsanto).
- Agrisure Artesian – Utilizes a proprietary Gene Blueprinting process, which identifies and utilizes multiple genes that carry distinctive modes of action responsible for moisture stress protection.
- DroughtGard – Includes a new bio-tech trait that helps corn plants mitigate yield loss due to drought, especially during key growth stages.
“Both new water optimization traits help enhance yield potential when moisture is limited, but also perform well under wet conditions," says Ryan Moeller, regional product manager, WinField. “Our farmers have been asking for this level of control, and these new offerings can deliver the increase to their genetic yield potential they’ve been looking for.”
New Agrisure Duracade technology (Syngenta) will also be available for farmers who are dealing with resistance to current CRW-traited products.
- Agrisure Duracade – Introduces a new protein and mode of action to the marketplace for optimal resistance control. 2014 Croplan varieties will also include a 5 percent refuge-in-a-bag, which producers are demanding.
“This technology is new to the marketplace, so there’s no resistance to it,” says Moeller. “It’s a particularly favorable option in corn-on-corn rotations as well as areas with heavy CRW pressure.” Farmers in South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Western Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado can choose from 82-day (2280AS5222) and 90-day varieties (3080ASA5222).
Croplan seed combines proven genetics from multiple gene pools with leading traits and technologies, to provide farmers the optimal seed for each acre. Leading genetics are then paired with data from the nearest of WinField’s nearly 200 Answer Plot® Program locations to further illustrate localized seed performance for farmers.
Visit http://www.croplan.com/ for more information about Croplan corn hybrids, and http://www.answerplot.com/ for comparative performance data on the industry’s top hybrids, including offerings for 2014 from Croplan seed.
- New calculator can help soybean farmers with seed decisions
- U.S., Brazil close to ending cotton trade rift
- U.S.-Japan trade talks hit new farm exports snag
- Ag markets posted a general comeback Wednesday
- Midwest grain growers ‘Invest an acre to feed the world’
- Ag markets turned mixed around midsession Wednesday
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?