Potash Corp wants to buy ICL despite obstacles
But key importers China and India bruised the earnings of potash producers in the second half of 2012 by staying out of the market altogether.
There also may be stiff competition coming from new potash mines under construction in Western Canada by Germany's K+S AG and BHP Billiton Plc, although BHP has not yet given final approval to its project. To head off new competitors, analysts have mused about the possible merits of Canpotex switching to a volume emphasis.
Potash Corp spokesman Bill Johnson said Brownlee's comments do not suggest a change in strategy as the company will continue to match supply to demand. But he said the company has noted that volume growth has been flat for five or six years and wants to change that trend, with the company expanding its mines and demand rising.
Mosaic Chief Executive Jim Prokopanko, speaking at the same conference, said demand from India has been picking up lately, and Canpotex could sell more than the 1.1 million tonnes of potash in 2013 that its latest supply contract with India calls for.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Fertilizer in small doses yields higher returns for less money
- Research shows GM crops safe, no special labeling needed
- Taiwan passes new GMO tolerance regulations
- Middle East drought a threat to global food prices
- Canada orders railways to boost grain shipments to ease logjam
- Weak Asian markets weighed on crop markets Sunday night
- Spectacular economic growth in China has a downside: drought
- New soil health toolbox evaluates plant available nutrients
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- Bayer CropScience to acquire Biagro Group
- USGC sees potential problems for Ukraine farmers
- DuPont Pioneer and Hexima announce new insect protection
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Conference to address “What’s Next for Farmland Values”
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.