North American potash stocks shrink in August
American potash inventories dipped nearly 9 percent in August at the producer level, but were still one-third larger than the five-year average, according to the world's top producer of the crop nutrient, Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
Stockpiles of potassium chloride, the key crop nutrient more commonly known as potash, shrank 221,000 tonnes to 2.353 million tonnes in August from the previous month, according to data posted on Potash Corp's website on Monday.
Spot potash prices hovered under $500 per tonne.
One of the reasons miners are sitting on such large stockpiles is reduced demand from India, the world's second-largest potash buyer. The weakening rupee and a reduction in fertilizer subsidies by the Indian government have made potash more expensive to farmers.
Potash Corp is whittling down its surplus supplies somewhat by shutting down its biggest mine, at Lanigan, Saskatchewan, for nearly a month starting on Sept. 15.
The vast majority of the potash produced in North America is mined in the Western Canadian province of Saskatchewan, where Potash Corp is headquartered. Minnesota-based Mosaic Co and Calgary, Alberta-based Agrium Inc are the other two large potash miners in the province.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- USDA’s budget proposal: How will you be impacted?
- UN: China, US climate cooperation raises hopes for global deal
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Even as Japan balks at trade concessions, farmers move on
- Crop pests ‘vastly underestimated’ warns study
- Evogene enhances predictive gene stacking capabilities
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Look at how the rice scheme made Thailand unstable
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
Ranco Bucket Elevators
Ranco Fertiservice Inc.