Fall nitrogen recommendations for winter wheat
Preplant N considerations
1) Late-planted wheat should consider 30 lb N per acre preplant.
a) Dates for late-planted wheat are October 15 North of Interstate 40 and November 1 South of Interstate 40.
2) Wheat for grazing and grain should consider 60 lb N per acre preplant
3) Wheat following flood-irrigated rice in the rotation should receive 40 to 50 lb N per
acre preplant or shortly after planting or crop emergence.
The University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Soil Fertility Team is currently revisiting and researching the recommendation for fall-applied N on late planted wheat. Fall N is essential for tiller development and stand establishment prior to winter dormancy and can impact wheat yields. Many states have fall N recommendations for late-planted wheat and they vary greatly from state to state. Residual soil N in the form of nitrate has been used as an indicator for wheat response to fall-applied N. Research from other states has indicated that wheat planted on soil with nitrate levels < 10 ppm generally have a positive yield response to fall-applied N. Further research is necessary under Arkansas growing conditions to determine more specific guidelines for fall-applied N to late-planted wheat. Please stay tuned in for future discussions on identifying nutrient deficiencies in winter wheat and late-winter N applications.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Fertilizer Conveying Systems
Waconia Manufacturing Inc.