Scout corn fields for these five weeds in 2013
- Trend: In 2012, 13.3 percent of growers reported the presence of glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth on their farms, 4.6 percentage points more than in 2011.4
- Germination timing: Palmer amaranth has an extended emergence pattern, typically May to mid-July in the Southern United States. It has a rapid growth rate (up to 2½ inches per day) and high seed production, averaging 40,000 seeds per plant.6
- Found in: AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV2
- Trend: In 2012, 16.5 percent of growers reported the presence of glyphosate-resistant waterhemp on their farms, 6 percentage points more than in 2011.4
- Germination timing: Summer annual; waterhemp germination and emergence extends late into the growing season.
- Found in: AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE,GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, WA, WI, WV2
- Trend: Velvetleaf has been hard to control with glyphosate alone and continues to show prevalence among row crops.
- Germination timing: Summer annual. Emerges in the spring, sets seed in late summer/fall and dies.1
- Found in: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY2
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Ag markets made a generally mixed showing Thursday night
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?