Will there be a black cutworm outbreak in 2013?
Note: Spraying off or tilling down alfalfa in the spring should also be done within the previously described guidelines.
Hubsch adds that if growers have winter cereals such as winter wheat or rye in their rotation, they should consider the fact that if a significant number of volunteer plants are present, they could attract the moths to fields in the spring.
"A week time lapse between tillage or spraying to allow larvae to starve and die is highly recommended for eliminating or reducing damage," he said.
Lastly, Hubsch adds that it is important to note that black cutworm moths are not the only cutworm moths attracted to green vegetative weed growth in the spring. And there are other preventative measures that can be taken to reduce losses from any of the cutworms, but this is probably the easiest and simplest recommendation that can be practiced on a yearly basis.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
Ports and River Receiving Systems