Seeding rate guidelines for corn in Indiana
On-Farm Field-Scale Seeding Rate Trials
The 43 research trials that provide the basis for the guidelines offered in this report are scattered nicely throughout the state and represent a fair range of growing conditions. However, there is a need for even more such trials to better “capture” the effects of different growing conditions on yield response to plant population. Field-scale on-farm seeding rate trials are simple to conduct, especially if your planter is equipped with GPS-enabled variable rate controls. These trials can be customized to include two or more nitrogen fertilizer rates or multiple hybrids. Such trials can also be used to evaluate yield response to plant population in different areas or “zones” within fields to help address the question about the relative merits of variable rate seeding. If you would to participate in one or more on-farm seeding rate trials with corn, please download the protocol for this at the following URL and contact me for additional information.
The field-scale, often on-farm, research summarized in this update has been supported, in part, by funds from the Indiana Corn Marketing Council, the Purdue Mary S. Rice Farm Fund, and the Indiana Certified Crop Adviser Program. The collaboration of the participating farmers, crop consultants, retail agronomists, county Extension Educators, and Purdue Ag. Center personnel is gratefully acknowledged.
Nielsen, RL (Bob). 2013. Thoughts on Seeding Rates for Corn. Corny News Network, Purdue Extension. Online at http://www.kingcorn.org/news/timeless/SeedingRateThoughts.html[accessed Feb 2013].
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
No matching related articles at this time.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- CLA responds to EPA’s proposed worker protection standard
A.J. Sackett Blend Towers
A.J. Sackett Sons & Company