Refuge requirements for field corn
With the corn growing season rapidly approaching, many producers are faced with the task of deciphering what refuge their chosen variety or varieties require. First, many of the varieties available have Bt genes solely for control of western corn rootworm. Western corn rootworm is rarely a problem in Louisiana and varieties containing this gene will not control the predominate species of Southern corn rootworm our producers face every year. However, varieties containing the corn rootworm trait require a specific in-field or adjacent refuge instead of the ½ mile refuge Louisiana producers are familiar with.
Below is a link to a list of corn varieties, their refuge requirements, and target pests from Mississippi State. Mississippi is considered a cotton growing area and the refuge requirements, including the corn rootworm trait, are the same for Louisiana.
*Beware that any variety that specifies corn rootworm control must have a refuge in the same field or adjacent to the Bt corn. If the variety does not specify corn rootworm, as a target pest, then the refuge can be a ½ mile distance from the Bt corn.
- What to do now in regards to the 2014 Farm Bill
- Mistakes that hurt a farm's credit
- Mycogen Seeds introduces four new sunflower hybrids for 2015
- China cuts cotton import quotas to boost demand for its own fiber
- Hog futures the exception to bearish ag market rule Monday AM
- Gangster herbicide program update
- Despite USDA approval, Enlist trait faces hurdles
- Activist investor Peltz pushes DuPont to split itself
- USDA approves Dow’s Enlist corn, soybean traits
- Mapping technology help farmers understand soil
- Improve nutrient balance to boost corn yields
- Study shows differences in understanding sustainable agriculture
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report