Start scouting for common stalk borer in corn
Insecticides may be mixed with fast-acting herbicides being used to burn down early season weeds, or applied several days after use of slower-acting herbicides. Check the label for compatibility of different insecticide and herbicide mixtures.
A variety of foliar insecticides are effective against common stalk borers in corn. See the 2014 Guide to Weed Management in Nebraska with Insecticide and Fungicide Information (EC130) or the insecticide label information for labeled insecticides, their rates, and restrictions.
Several available Bt corn hybrids provide control or suppression of common stalk borer larvae. The label term "suppression" indicates that a lower level of mortality is expected than for insects labeled for control. (See Handy Bt Trait Table for a list of available hybrids.)
- Unmanned aerial vehicles advance agriculture
- Divergent livestock futures highlighted Wednesday's market action
- Update on corn and soybean acreage
- China's cotton growing area, yield expected to decline in 2014
- Farm auction in McLean County, Ill., drew 40 bidders
- Pesticide Safety Education program reaches a 50-year milestone
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- Stoller soybean research produces 214 bushels per acre
- EPA regional head and ag leaders talk water quality