WSSA endorses strategies to reduce herbicide resistance
In addition to recommending specific BMPs, the WSSA recommends/endorses the following:
- Reduce the weed seed-bank through diversified programs that minimize weed seed production.
- Implement an herbicide mechanism of action labeling system for all herbicide products, and conduct an awareness campaign.
- Communicate that discovery of new, effective herbicide mechanisms of action is rare and that the existing herbicide resource is exhaustible.
- Demonstrate the benefits and costs of proactive, diversified weed management systems for the mitigation of herbicide-resistant weeds.
- Foster the development of incentives by government agencies and industry that conserve critical herbicide mechanisms of action as a means to encourage adoption of best practices.
- Promote the application of full-labeled rates at the appropriate weed and crop growth stage. When tank mixtures are employed to control the range of weeds present in a field, each product should be used at the specified label rate appropriate for the weeds present.
- Identify and promote individual best management practices that fit specific farming segments with the greatest potential impact.
- Engage the public and private sectors in the promotion of best management practices, including those concerning appropriate herbicide use.
- Direct federal, state and industry funding to research addressing the substantial knowledge gaps in best management practices for herbicide resistance and to support cooperative extension services as vital agents in education for resistance management.
- Irrigation Association to release online courses with Cal Poly
- Monsanto to invest $120 million in Argentina
- Ag markets ended Tuesday mostly lower
- Fat molecules influence function of key photosynthesis protein
- Monsanto honored for efforts in developing agriculture in Vietnam
- Corn stocks top 1.2 billion bushels
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto