USDA will open comment period on Enlist
USDA recently moved Dow AgroSciences' Enlist corn and soybean traits to the next step in the regulatory process by announcing the availability of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS). According to USDA, on Jan. 10 there will be a notice in the Federal Register announcing the opening of a comment period for the DEIS. The comment period is an opportunity for growers and others to provide input on the Enlist corn and soybean traits as USDA conducts its review.
“Comment periods are a key way for farmers to make their voices heard in the regulatory process,” says Bart Schott, former president, National Corn Growers Association. “I would absolutely encourage growers to tell the USDA farmers need access to new technology like Enlist. Technology enables us to compete in the global economy.”
Pending regulatory approvals, Dow AgroSciences expects to launch Enlist corn and soybeans in 2015, with cotton to follow.
“This is an exciting next step toward bringing Enlist to American farmers,” says Damon Palmer, U.S. commercial leader, Enlist Weed Control System, Dow AgroSciences. “We’ve just concluded another year focused on collaboration and education—all to pave the way for a successful introduction of the technology.”
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- Ohio’s largest Deere dealer to sell precision drone products
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease