Fall fertilizer resources and how to assess an N program
Soil temperatures across much of Nebraska have dropped below 50° F, the recommended threshold for fall nitrogen applications. Following are links to Extension information related to fall fertilizer management.
- An article on Extension Educator Jenny Rees' blog, JenREESources's, looks at how growers can evaluate their nitrogen program by starting an on-farm research trial. It discusses how to establish a study, links to example studies and guides, and includes a list of educators and specialists who can help you design a trial. Rees writes "On-farm research may sound daunting, but today's equipment makes it easier than ever. It does take a little extra time, but our farmers conducting on-farm research feel the value of knowing the results of a study on their own piece of ground make the effort worthwhile."
- Factors to Consider with Fall Fertilization in a Dry Year. Agrnomic factors to consider when deciding whether to apply fertilizer this fall.
- Soil Testing is Critical after a Drought Year to verify actual nutrient levels. Residual nitrate levels are expected to be high in very low-yielding dryland fields due tounused N fertilizer. Levels may be higher than normal in sprinkler-irrigated fields, but lower than normal in furrow-irrigated fields. Learn why soil testing will be so important this year before you plan your fertilizer purchase.
- Guidelines for Soil Sampling (G1740). This NebGuide provides step-by-step information on for how to collect and submit representative soil samples.
- Commercial Soil and Plant Analytical Laboratories in Nebraska
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta
- Berman: Camouflaged activists threaten agriculture