Source: ABCNews, Monsanto and NYTimes

U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White of San Francisco found last week that the U.S. Department of Agricultural improperly granted permission for the plantings of genetically modified sugar beets in the United States without a detailed environmental review. White said his order will take effect Dec. 6 to give the companies time to appeal.

Monsanto Company said that it would appeal the ruling. According to the company, the court's ruling does not affect the 2010 Roundup Ready sugar beet seed crop, which had been planted earlier in the year prior to the September permits. Moreover, the decision will have little impact on the sugar beet crop that farmers anticipate planting in 2011. Stecklings produced in 2010 would supply seed for root crop growers in the 2012 season.

The New York Times reported that the court decision could cause shortages of sugar beet seeds in the next two years, leading to possible price increases. 

Read the ABCNews story
 
See Monsanto's response
 
Read the New York Times story

Read more from Capital Press