Source: Agricultural Retailers Association
The U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is proposing additional requirements for loading and unloading cargo tanks (i.e., nurse tanks). The proposal is available here.
The proposal includes the following requirements for motor carriers and facilities engaged in loading and unloading cargo tanks:
- Assess the risks of loading and unloading operations and develop written operating procedures.
- Train hazmat employees annually in the relevant aspects of the operational procedures.
- Annually qualify hazmat employees who perform loading and unloading operations.
- Develop and implement a periodic maintenance schedule to prevent deterioration of equipment and conduct periodic operational tests to ensure equipment functions as intended.
- Ensure that the equipment meets the performance standards for specification cargo tanks.