A mayoral delegation representing the Mississippi River Cities & Towns Initiative (MRCTI) is conducting global river talks during COP 21—the United Nations meeting for the Framework Convention on Climate Change being held in Paris.
These mayors, in partnership with the UN Environment Program, the International Network of Basin Organizations, the International Society for River Science, and ecoAmerica, are meeting with representatives from food-producing river basins in pursuit of an international agreement to mitigate climate impact to the world’s food and freshwater supply. The U.S. delegation will announce the results on December 8.
MRCTI is a mayoral-led effort comprised of 68 river mayors committed to creating a coordinated voice for the Mississippi River, according to the group. The group in Paris is:
- Mayor Chris Coleman, St. Paul, Minn. (MRCTI-Co-Chair)
- Mayor Roy Buol, Dubuque, Iowa
- Mayor Dave Kleis, St. Cloud, Minn.
- Mayor Larry ‘Butch’ Brown, Natchez, Miss.
- Colin Wellenkamp, executive director, MRCTI