DuPont officially opened its Integrated Seed Science Center in Johnston, Iowa. This is the second facility in the DuPont Integrated Seed Science Network that is dedicated to developing and testing seed treatment formulations, applications and seed handling techniques. The Johnston center features experts and equipment that help DuPont deliver the right seed treatments for growers’ fields to optimize genetic performance of seeds.
“The Johnston Integrated Seed Science Center ultimately helps us make our seed treatment products perform better for growers,” said Jeff Daniels, technical agronomy and application lead of the DuPont Seed Treatment Enterprise. “The facility gives us on-the-ground capabilities to match treatments with genetics for the best integrated seed solution for our customers.”
Aimed at ensuring growers get the most out the seeds they plant, the Integrated Seed Science Center brings together a wide array of equipment, technology and training resources, including:
- Laboratories to evaluate the right combination of seed-applied products to help protect the seed and optimize yield potential.
- Treating and drying testing to better understand how components and processes interact which delivers a higher quality assurance and enhances product stewardship.
- Real-world testing conditions for products and equipment.
- Plantability evaluations that check for accuracy through planter meters and seed flow, essential for modern day planters.
- Training lab to facilitate superior seed application and seed handling techniques to ensure a consistent grower experience with treated seed.
Following lab testing, seed treatment products are tested in nearby DuPont Pioneer Impact (Intensively Managed Product Advancement, Characterization and Training) plots to see how they perform with Pioneer genetics.
"We take an integrated approach to matching the right treatment to the right variety or hybrid for common agronomic conditions,” said Daniels. “We believe this is the best way to help growers advance their yields.”
DuPont opened its first Integrated Seed Science Center in Wilmington, Del., last year and a third facility is planned for South America.
The Integrated Seed Science Network supports the DuPont Seed Treatment Enterprise, which has already introduced a number of key products, including Pioneer Premium Seed Treatment (PPST) 250 offering plus DuPont Lumivia insecticide seed treatment for corn. DuPont Lumivia, introduced in spring 2015, offers a new mode of action for uniform, healthy stands and improved yield potential. Along with other offerings under the DuPont Lumigen brand, these products are making a positive change for farmers around the world.