Will there be a black cutworm outbreak in 2013?
Note: Spraying off or tilling down alfalfa in the spring should also be done within the previously described guidelines.
Hubsch adds that if growers have winter cereals such as winter wheat or rye in their rotation, they should consider the fact that if a significant number of volunteer plants are present, they could attract the moths to fields in the spring.
"A week time lapse between tillage or spraying to allow larvae to starve and die is highly recommended for eliminating or reducing damage," he said.
Lastly, Hubsch adds that it is important to note that black cutworm moths are not the only cutworm moths attracted to green vegetative weed growth in the spring. And there are other preventative measures that can be taken to reduce losses from any of the cutworms, but this is probably the easiest and simplest recommendation that can be practiced on a yearly basis.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Fertilizer Conveying Systems
Waconia Manufacturing Inc.