Vetter draws support for agriculture trade post
The American Farm Bureau Federation, Agricultural Retailers Association, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, The Fertilizer Institute and 93 other agriculture and food-related groups have signed a letter strongly supporting the confirmation of Deputy Under Secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services Darci Vetter as Chief Agricultural Negotiator in the Office of the United States Trade Representative.
The position of Chief Agricultural Negotiator, with the rank of ambassador, was created in 1997 by Congress for the express purpose of ensuring that U.S. agriculture is fully represented in trade negotiations at the highest possible level.
“U.S. agricultural exports are valued at near $140 billion for 2013, and agriculture remains one of the few sectors in the overall economy that has shown a positive trade balance for decades,” the letter stated. “The most recent figures place this value at or above $30 billion, making the role of the Chief Agricultural Negotiator as one of the most important in the entire Office of the USTR.
The groups said that Vetter “brings a wealth of well-rounded background expertise,” to the position, including more than six years of experience at USTR, dealing with implementation of various provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
“She has also had extensive experience working for the Senate Finance Committee, giving her a sound understanding of the importance as well as the workings of Congress,” according to the letter. “Her most recent experience within the U.S. Department of Agriculture has also given her direct exposure to the workings of many of the critical programs related to trade currently offered by the federal government as well as the numerous trade associations involved in helping to stimulate agricultural trade.”
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- Do you think the term “agricultural sustainability” is as strong of a buzzword and emphasis for action in the industry as it was 3 years ago?