University lecture considers U.S. role in global ag production
Current and former USDA officials will tackle the changing landscape of global agricultural production in an upcoming discussion contemplating the future of U.S. leadership in agriculture.
The event will occur next Tuesday in the Nebraska East Union on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's East Campus. The Heuermann Lecture, "Regaining the U.S. Lead in Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education," begins with a discussion led by Catherine Woteki, USDA undersecretary for research, education and economics, and Dan Glickman, former U.S. secretary of agriculture.
The two will analyze the United States’ status in global agricultural production and natural resources research and education and identify challenges facing national and global agricultural production.
The U.S. role in production has been affected by a decline in research investments, leading to a slowdown in production growth according to Ronnie Green, Harlan vice chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Meanwhile, other countries continue to expand agricultural production as they invest in research and development.
Green will serve as one of two moderators as a panel discusses how the role of U.S. agriculture has changed with decreased R&D investments and if a change is necessary.
"These and other questions are of vital importance to an agricultural state like Nebraska," Green said, "and, for that matter, to everyone who eats.”
The lecture begins at 7 p.m. on Jan. 14. It can be viewed live or watched at a later time at http://heuermannlectures.unl.edu.
- Scout for aphids in winter wheat
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- Farm bill program to help farmers affected by severe weather
- Israel panel proposes 25-42% tax hike on mining companies
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta
- Berman: Camouflaged activists threaten agriculture