USDA/APHIS extends comment period for GM corn
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today announced a public comment period extension through April 27 on a petition received from Dow AgroScience LLC seeking a determination of nonregulated status for corn designated as DAS-40278-9.
On Dec. 27, 2011, APHIS published a notice in the Federal Register advising the public that we received a petition for corn event DAS-40278-9, which has been genetically engineered to provide tolerance to 2,4-D and aryloxyphenoxypropionate acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase inhibitors, also known as “fop” herbicides.
In addition, APHIS made available for public comment its plant pest risk assessment and draft environmental assessment for DAS-40278-9. These documents can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/news.shtml.
Notice of this action is published in today’s Feb. 22 Federal Register.
Consideration will be given to comments received on or before April 27. Interested parties may submit comments by either of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to
- Postal Mail/Commercial Delivery: please send your comment to Docket No. APHIS-2010-0103, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road, Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238.
Supporting documents and any comments we receive on this docket may be viewed at http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=APHIS-2010-0103 or in our reading room, which is located in room 1141 of the USDA South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington, D.C. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you, please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
- Valmont acquires majority stake in AgSense
- DuPont announces investment in seed treatment solutions
- Bills to regulate California groundwater use opposed by farmers
- Court overturns law limiting biotech crops on Hawaiian island
- New products added to the Agrotain stabilizer portfolio
- Ag markets are generally mixed in early-Wednesday trading
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease