USDA tests grain, probes storage site in GMO wheat mystery
Claire Cajacob, head of Monsanto's wheat project, said it is routine for Monsanto to store experimental seed both at its own facilities and at the government location.
The national center is designed to preserve a collection of genetic resources for U.S. agriculture and includes a small catalog of genetically altered and patented seed material from companies like Monsanto, as well as a wider selection of publicly available materials.
Officials with the center said Thursday they were uncertain whether or not they had ever received the experimental wheat in question, and the USDA's Curlett said how much, if any, seed was sent there, and if it was all accounted for, was one part of the government's investigation.
As the probe continues, some foreign buyers continue to shy away from the western white wheat variety grown in Oregon and other states. This week marked the fourth in a row that Japan's Ministry of Agriculture avoided the U.S. western white grade in a regular weekly wheat purchase.
Japan was one of first nations to shun U.S. white wheat imports after the May 29 USDA announcement of the discovery of the genetically engineered wheat.
USDA maintains that there is no evidence that any biotech wheat has entered commercial supplies.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks