USDA reopens comment period for GMO apple
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has reopened the comment period on the Arctic apple, a genetically engineered apple designed to resist browning.
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc., British Columbia, the variety's developer, is seeking nonregulated status for the apple so it can move without restrictions into conventional apple channels.
The USDA published the original request for comments Nov. 8, 2013, and closed Dec. 9. The new deadline is Jan. 30.
For more information, visit the Federal Register.
- Ag markets remained weak Wednesday morning
- Northern corn leaf blight seen across Corn Belt
- EU wheat exporters to benefit from Black Sea turmoil
- Seeds keep vital much longer when stored without oxygen
- Global food safety agreement signed by China and UC Davis
- Weyerhaeuser and DuPont Pioneer sign license agreement