USB helps commercialize 38 new soy-based products
Various performance and environmental attributes have made U.S. soy increasingly popular among product manufacturers, which has helped boost industrial demand for soy. That’s why last year, the soy checkoff partnered with manufacturers to commercialize 38 new soy-based products and ingredients.
The list of products developed with soy checkoff support in 2013 includes new additions to some popular soy-based product categories, such as coatings, adhesives and plastics. It also includes soy-based ingredients that could be used in countless new products.
Dale Profit, a soy checkoff farmer-leader and soybean farmer from Van Wert, Ohio, recognizes the value-added prospects of industrial soy use.
“USB is helping discover other products that can be made from soy to add to farmers’ bottom lines,” says Profit. “These products are good for the farmer, the customer and all the people in between.”
Soybean meal’s primary use remains animal feed, while most soybean oil goes to human food, Profit adds. But versatile soy can also help manufacturers replace petrochemicals and possible carcinogens in their products. Soy-based products are more renewable and environmentally friendly and in some cases, perform better.
Click here to browse USB’s Soy Products Guide, an online catalog of the thousands of currently available soy-based products, ingredients and manufacturers.
New soy-based products and ingredients introduced in 2013 as a result of USB support include:
MASEO (Maleinated Acrylated Epoxidized Soybean Oil) – A soybean-oil-based resin used to make plastic. It is made by Dixie Chemical Company, Inc.
Innergy Rigid Thermal Reinforcements – A fiberglass and soy-based urethane
insert that slides into window frames for greater support and insulation. It is marketed by Deceuninck North America.
INFIGREEN Recycled Polyols – Produced by Emery Oleochemicals, and are used in foam seats of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango.
COATINGS /PRINTING INKS/SOLVENTS
SoBind Balance – By DuPont is used in coatings and adhesives.
Varathane Diamond Floor – A wood-floor coating containing soy flour. It is made by Rust-Oleum.
G.E.T. Biobased Safety Yellow – A zero-volatile-organic-compound (VOC) coating that contains soybean oil, biodiesel glycerin and soy methyl ester. It is made by Niemann & Associates.
ProClassic – A multipurpose water-based soy acrylic alkyd primer, satin deck and siding product line made by Sherwin-Williams.
Pro-Park – A soy- based parking-lot paint by Sherwin-Williams.
- New platform to simplify inventory and fertilizer sales
- Cheminova’s dimethoate 4E receives 2(EE) recommendation
- Ag markets proved rather volatile again Thursday
- Potential impact of climate change on rangeland plants
- Ag markets proved decidedly mixed again Thursday morning
- Economy, job market reaps benefits from RFS
- Commentary: Blame anti-GMO groups for deaths
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- What does “sustainable” food and agriculture really mean?
- Ohio bill to require certification to apply fertilizer
- FCC aims to offer high-speed internet to rural America
- Carbon-dioxide hurts nitrogen assimilation by plants