U.S. to levy fines in Texas plant explosion
The U.S. government will fine a Texas fertilizer plant for 24 health and safety violations in connection with an April explosion that killed 14 people and injured hundreds, U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer of California announced on Thursday.
The violations, which include the unsafe handling and storage of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, carry fines of more than $118,000, Boxer said.
Boxer, who chairs the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said in a conference call with reporters that she was announcing the action because the statute of limitations on filing violations is approaching and could run out before the partial government shutdown ends. The investigation is continuing, she said, but has been delayed due to the shutdown of the federal government.
The April 17 blast at the West Fertilizer Co flattened homes and caused an estimated $100 million in damages to neighborhoods, businesses and schools in West, Texas, about 80 miles south of Dallas. The dead included 11 firefighters and other first responders who had rushed to contain a fire at the plant moments before the blast.
Ammonium nitrate is a dry fertilizer mixed with other fertilizers such as phosphate and applied to crops to promote growth. It can be combustible under certain conditions.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Look at how the rice scheme made Thailand unstable
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
R&R Minuteman Blend System
R&R Manufacturing Inc.