Three deficit irrigation workshops planned for in Nebraska
A series of No-till Deficit Irrigation and Water Optimizer Workshops will be held in Sidney, Alliance, and Scottsbluff, Neb., in late February for ag producers who expect to have limited irrigation water supplies this year.
The workshops will address water-limiting issues and low-water-use crop options for producers facing these challenges.
Other topics will include the benefits of no-till practices and annual forage utilization in producer operations with cattle. UNL Extension personnel will also introduce and review the Water Optimizerdecision management tool, which can help producers determine what crops to grow, how many acres to irrigate and what their potential profitability would be under limited water-supply situations.
The workshops are sponsored by the University of Nebraska Panhandle Research and Extension Center, the North Platte, South Platte, Upper Niobrara White natural resources districts, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund Continuous No-till Education grant.
The workshop dates and times and contact numbers for RSVP:
- Sidney — Feb. 26, 8:30 a.m.-noon, South Platte NRD Meeting Room, 551 Parkland Drive. Call 308-254-2377 (South Platte NRD) or 308-254-4455 (Cheyenne County Extension).
- Alliance — Feb. 27, 8:30 a.m.-noon, Alliance Public Library (WNCC Meeting Room), 1750 Sweetwater Ave. Call 308- 432-6190 (UNWNRD) or 308-762-5616 (Box Butte County Extension).
- Scottsbluff — Thursday, Feb. 28, 8:30 a.m.-noon, North Platte NRD Meeting Room, 100547 Airport Road. Call 308-632-2749 (North Platte NRD) or 308-632-1276 (Panhandle Research and Extension Center).
If you plan to attend one of these free workshops, please RSVP to the host location by Feb. 22.
Follow-up workshops will be held several weeks later for producers to come in and get one-on-one instruction in the use of Water Optimizer. Those dates, times and meeting places will be announced later.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation