Specialty soybean varieties for niche markets
Ron Rainey, director of the Division of Agriculture's MarketMaker project, said the MarketMaker website is a tool soybean producers can use to connect with potential buyers of specialty soybean varieties. The address is http://ar.marketmaker.uiuc.edu/.
"MarketMaker is an interactive web resource aimed at promoting the products and services of farmers, agricultural businesses and food related businesses," Rainey said.
Food science professor Navam Hettiarachchy has documented bioactive benefits of soy consumption that help prevent cancer, obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's and heart disease. In research supported by the ASPB, she and Professor Andy Proctor have developed bioactive ingredients for use is soy products ranging from cooking oil to soymilk.
A patented process developed by Proctor converts the linoleic acid in soy oil to conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been shown to protect against cancer, heart disease and inflammatory diseases.
Specialty lines in Chen's Division of Agriculture breeding program are under evaluation for potential release in 2013 as new varieties well adapted to Arkansas growing conditions, he said. They include lines for production of edamame vegetable soybeans, tofu, soymilk and natto, which is a fermented soy product.
Other lines being considered for release in 2013 include two with high oil content and two with low linoleic acid, which contain low trans fat, and one line with low phytase, which can help reduce the excretion of phosphorus in the manure of animals fed soybean meal.
- Irrigation Association to release online courses with Cal Poly
- Monsanto to invest $120 million in Argentina
- Ag markets ended Tuesday mostly lower
- Fat molecules influence function of key photosynthesis protein
- Monsanto honored for efforts in developing agriculture in Vietnam
- Corn stocks top 1.2 billion bushels
- U.S. GMO labeling foes triple spending in first half of this year
- Source shows half of GMO research is independent
- Activists fighting Golden Rice even more in 2014
- White House issues veto threat on bill to block WOTUS rule
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- East-West Seed signs marketing collaboration with Monsanto